Friday 28 September 2012

Positive portrayal of alternative in popular media

Us gentle folk of an alternative persuasion have often had a rough ride in popular culture. Deemed outcasts by some, likely bad guys by others, the image portrayed is not always favourable. Whenever I see a programme with this negativity portrayed I wince. Often heavy metal will be playing in the perpetrators home in crime shows, or goths crop up in crime labs as dead body obsessed comedy relief.

Whilst I'm sure most of us can laugh it off, it does present an image that doesn't engender us well to the more conservative members of society.

So here I present to you three what I consider positive portrayals of goth/metal/alt. style in the media, which we should champion and celebrate so that it becomes the norm.

1. Greg Sanders from C.S.I: Crime Scene Investigation

via C.S.I Love You
Greg started out in C.S.I as the loveable but quirky lab tech who seemed to be able to analyse pretty much anything. His trademark was the music he listened to and his metalesque tendencies. As the series has progressed he has become more mainstream, but nonetheless he has never been a caricature. Although he has become a bit more mainstream, he's doesn't ever appear to have lost his alternative edge.

2. Abigail 'Abby' Sciuto from NCIS

via fanpop
 Abigail 'Abby' Sciuto is the goth lab tech from NCIS. She quite simply, rocks. The show has never attempted to poke fun at her lifestyle. She is warm, funny, intelligent, balanced... all things that 'normal' people are portrayed and alt. people aren't usually.

3. Janis Ian from Mean Girls

via fanpop

 I make no secret of the fact that I love Mean Girls. It is an insightful, hilarious film that pokes fun at the stereotypes in US high schools. Except Janis. She's the grounded one, the one with a sensible head on her shoulders. She's also alternative. And I love her for it.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read your comments, please leave them below!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...