Friday 23 March 2012

Currently loving.... 2 Broke Girls



I'm a bit of a late comer to this party, but boy am I glad I arrived! 2 Broke Girls is a sitcom about the trials and tribulations of well, two broke girls in Brooklyn.

Max is sassy, opinionated, and tough. Caroline is a fallen billionaire's daughter. Together they want to start a cupcake business. That sounds a bit like the beginning of a super hero movie doesn't it?

I was initially sceptical about it, worried that it would be about the pathetic rich girl who complains all the time, but Caroline is a funny, strong character who is incredibly self deprecating. Max is the me that I'm afraid will sneak out unless I keep her in check. This might not be such a bad thing though! I think I have girl crushes on both characters.

The show has received mixed reviews, with most criticism being levelled at the racist and sexual banter.  And yes there is a lot of sexual banter, but as Emily Nussbaum wrote in The New Yorker, it is this sexuality that makes Max something special on network television in the USA.

This could be a controversial thing to say, but I wonder whether the stereotypes in 2 Broke Girls are as terrible as they are made out to be. Let me illustrate this further. One of my favourite films is Eurotrip. If you haven't seen it, it has a wonderful range of European stereotypes that are absolutely spot on. However, my Canadian friend hates it. She does like Roadtrip (Eurotrip's erstwhile prequel), which The Beard and I can take or leave. I can only put this down to the difference between the European and North American sense of humour. And I wonder whether this comes into play with the reaction to 2 Broke Girls, particularly the Polish and Ukrainian characters. Who knows. I can see both sides of the argument.

Watch it for yourself and see what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read your comments, please leave them below!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...