Monday 4 June 2012

Weddings, weight loss and being beautiful

Is this really necessary?


Don't panic, I'm not getting hitched (again).

The gorgeous Hannah Millard has recently got engaged and posted this on her blog (she's also a pretty ace photographer), talking about how since she announced her engagement, her Facebook ads have been full of 'lose weight before your big day' type ads.

I was pretty shocked reading it - when I got married in 2001 the internet wasn't anywhere near as big as it is now - Facebook barely existed, if at all, and people who used the internet to communicate (as my fiance and I did while we lived apart) were considered a bit odd. In fact I'd go as far to say that society was a completely different place, and it was only a decade ago. Gossip mags were yet to take hold (I used to buy Prima or Take A Break for the odd amusing thing to read) and reality TV was just finding its feet. There certainly wasn't the constant stream of 'perfect bodies' we see paraded in front of us now.

So when I went to choose my wedding dress, I wasn't convinced to order a size down because most brides lose weight for their wedding (as another friend was told), nor did I have to contend with the level of pressure that Hannah describes. The biggest worry I had on my wedding day was whether the weather would stay nice!

This doesn't just apply to weddings though: really we should be comfortable in our own skin as much as possible. I often feel a bit guilty at succumbing to some kind of pressure to lose weight, and having lost just over 2 stone I do feel better about myself and the way I look. I have had to come to terms with the losing weight in a way that I hadn't expected - I had to deal with the fact that vanity was my motivator and I wanted to create a better silhouette for myself.

Now that isn't always a bad thing, but it is a very very personal decision, and journey. And one which you may choose to make in the run up to a wedding, but that should be your decision to make, and no one should be swayed or pressured by online advertising based solely on a relationship status update on Facebook.

Every bride wants to look and feel amazing on their big day - I was no exception. But ultimately Hannah's conclusion is right - two people in love are two people in love, and that is beautiful, end of story.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read your comments, please leave them below!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...