Monday 18 June 2012

Nova Rock 2012: Sunday shenanigans

Apologies for the delay in posting the final day of Nova Rock, I fell mysteriously ill over the weekend (I still feel like I've been kicked in the guts by a donkey).

Anyway, Sunday's weather was a bit mixed - blazing hot sunshine one minute, then clouds and spots of rain the next. This contributed to my getting sunburnt, I seriously wasn't out for more than 10 minutes in the sun without protection. Thankfully it was more of a 'caught the sun' type burn than proper sunburn.

After breakfast, showering, beer and hanging out, we went to see the Mad Caddies. 





I love the Mad Caddies, some fun and bouncy punk is good for the soul on a Sunday afternoon!


Time after their set for a quick trip to fill up on beer then back to the arena.

Corey Taylor

We very nearly missed the beginning of Corey Taylor's set, in fact he came on stage and started just as we we going into the arena. This was not because we got the timing wrong, but because the time was changed and wasn't communicated. Not a good point for the festival!


Luckily we managed to get a good spot to watch him play. I will never get tired of listening to this guy sing. He started off with a couple of StoneSour tracks, "Bother", "Zzyxz. Rd." and "Through Glass", followed by an accoustic version of Slipknot's "Spit It Out". He also performed a track from the forthcoming Stone Sour double album House of Gold and Bones, and then a bunch of his favourite songs, including "Spongebob Squarepants"!

A definite highlight of my weekend, I am hopeful that StoneSour will tour in the next few months :) 

After a bit more hanging around back at base camp alpha, it was time to head back to the arena again.

Nightwish

If I'm honest, I was a bit bored by Nightwish. I have never been a particular fan - I had no love for the combination of the heavy guitars and Tarja's voice, and now they have a new singer, Annette, I thought that they might be more appealing. And while I think that her voice fits in with the rest of the band better, I can't say I'm any more excited by them!

They did have an awesome set though, and one of the guys looked like he was playing the organ from POTC Dead Man's Chest!


There were some pyrotechnics, but they seemed a bit random and shoved in for the hell of it. I was really disappointed, I was expecting so much from them. I don't know whether a small stage would suit them better, or whether it is just because I've not been a particular fan before that they didn't blow me away.


Still, one to tick off the list eh?

Finally, the moment we'd all been waiting for.... well, not me actually....

Metallica

I've managed to avoid seeing Metallica a few times now. I figured that maybe I should stop ignoring them and just watch their show, just to tick them off some list of bands that I should and have seen live.

I'm glad I had beer, is all I can say. I don't care how much you love Metallica, their presence on stage is arrogant and presumptive. They seem to be just going through the motions, which are very good motions, but they don't seem to have the kind of passion for their fans that you see in other bands. And you feel really sorry for the guys that aren't James Hetfield or Lars Ulrich. They just don't really get a look in.


So, we watched their set, trying not to fall asleep the whole way through, and headed back to the tent as soon as they finished the last bar of "Enter Sandman" (which incidentally is the only Metallica song I really like). I've seen them live now, I never ever have to do that again!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read your comments, please leave them below!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...