Wednesday 28 August 2013

Budget vs Mid Range: Transparent Finishing Powder

I am a long time devotee of MAC, and ever since they brought out the Prep and Prime Transparent Finishing Powder I have been a devoted user. It is just the perfect thing for setting foundation, and keeping everything looking good during the day.



Since moving to Austria I've been expanding my make up buying horizons. Initially a cost cutting exercise, it has now become a hunt for good products at lower prices, and why not make the most of being able to get my hands on good quality budget lines?

So I thought I'd try the Catrice version of Prep and Prime Transparent Finishing Powder, the imaginatively titled Prime and Fine Transparent Finishing Powder.



And I would love to say I liked it. Actually I think it is a very good powder for its price. It is finely milled, goes on easily, and works well. However, there are some noticeable differences.

1. I found the finish 'flatter' than the MAC powder. It felt a little heavier and didn't seem to deliver the same radiance that the MAC powder does. One thing I really like about these types of powders is that they don't dull the finish of your foundation, so unfortunately this didn't work for me.

2. The main ingredient of the Catrice powder is Aluminium Starch Octenylsuccinate, which might be why it feels a bit heavier on the skin. The main ingredient of the MAC powder is Corn flour. For me this is a significant difference, as my skin has a sensitivity to aluminium, something I only really remembered when I started suffering from an insane breakout. If I use deodorants with aluminium in them I get horrendous breakouts under my arms (not cool!). So for me the Catrice powder didn't really work. The MAC powder, being plant based, it much kinder on the skin.

So. I think this is a great powder if you are on a budget. It does the job, it works well, and it is beautifully purse friendly!

But if you have skin sensitivities to aluminium, this is definitely not the product for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read your comments, please leave them below!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...