Tuesday 12 January 2016

A Song A Day: Queen ft. David Bowie - "Under Pressure"

After what feels like forever, I have the urge to start writing again. I listen to music all the time, and my musical taste is varied and very broad. So I thought I'd write about a song or piece of music I have listened to each day. It might be something that gets stuck in my head, it might be something that I listen to repeatedly. It could be a classic song, a new song, or a piece of classical music. It could be anything, from rock and metal, to orchestral or hip hop.

For the first song, I have picked Under Pressure by Queen and David Bowie. When I heard the news that David Bowie had died, after a few expletives, this was the first song that popped into my head.

The death of a musician for many brings previously unanticipated emotions to the surface, often randomly and without warning. I wouldn't describe myself as a massive Bowie fan, but I shed a few tears at various points yesterday, and the day just didn't feel as bright as it should have done. I kept thinking as well that I didn't have the same reaction when Lemmy died a couple of weeks ago, but I guess in some ways his death wasn't unexpected; he'd been ill for a while and had cancelled more gigs than he'd performed. Even though the rumours were being denied or brushed off, it was in some ways obvious that something wasn't right. Bowie on the other hand, managed to keep all that hidden, in keeping with his very private nature. The fact that he released an album just last week (which now seems to have been a carefully planned goodbye) made it all the more shocking. 

Freddie Mercury and David Bowie were both one of a kind performers. Both highly creative, visionary minds who pushed boundaries and reshaped the music industry. Tales from the recording of this track tell of clashing of personalities and egos, but there is no denying that the end result is an absolute triumph. As a song it stands out on an album that is not one of the stronger albums in Queen's catalogue.

So, sit back, close your eyes and enjoy.




No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read your comments, please leave them below!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...